Pet Travelling news

EU new requirements
Dec-10-2014  Printer Friendly Page Send this article to a Friend



On the 29.12.2014, new requirements

Which changes will apply, if you travel with your dog, cat or ferret
after 28th December 2014?

From 29th December 2014 some changes will enter into force which will have to be
respected by owners of pets when travelling with their pets.

1. There are new pet passports and a new animal health certificate for entry

From 29th December 2014 an amended pet passport comes into force.
If you already have got a pet passport for you animal, this will remain valid for your
animal’s lifetime.

The new pet passport will be sealed by a laminate in those parts that contain the data on the
micro chip. The veterinarian issuing the pet passport has to keep appropriate records on the

For animals entering from a third country after 29th December 2014 an animal health
certificate corresponding to the model provided for in Annex IV part 1 of Regulation (EU) No.
577/2013 has to be carried along. No transitional period is foreseen. The animal health
certificate has to be accompanied by a declaration by which the owner, keeper or person
responsible during movement confirms that the animals are not intended for sale or transfer
of ownership.

2. A minimum age for rabies vaccination

From 29th December 2014 the animal (dog, cat, ferret) has to be at least 12 weeks old at the
time of vaccination against rabies, if you intend to travel to another Member state or a third
country and thus require a pet passport.

3. Clearer definitions

In order to exclude the movement of cross-breeds with wild animal species or animals
subject to legislation on endangered species the sub-species and their Latin denominations
are specified.

Pets are defined as dogs (Canis lupus familiaris), cats (Felis silvestris catus), ferrets (Mustela
putorius furo), invertebrates (except bees, bumble bees, molluscs and crustaceans), tropical
ornamental fish, amphibia, reptiles, birds (except poultry) as well as rodents and domestic
rabbits, accompanying their owner or an authorized person who is responsible for the
animals during movement on behalf of the owner. The animals must not be intended for
sale or transfer of ownership.

4. Checks

The Member states will have to carry out checks also in case of travels between EU Member
states. Therefore the pet passport or, in the case of animals from third countries, the animal
health certificate, stamped at the time of entry check, has to be carried along always.
When entering from a third country you have to take care that the animal health certificate
is being stamped by the officials responsible for the checks – in France or Switzerland by the customs

5. Participation in exhibitions or competitions

The number of five animals may be exceeded, if written evidence is submitted that the
animals enter the EU or are moved within the EU for the purpose of competitions,
exhibitions or sporting events or training for such events. Detailed information on which
specifications such written evidence has to comprise will be provided in specific information
leaflets on the website of the Federal Ministry of Health.

6. Entry of dogs, cats or ferrets younger than 12 weeks without permit by the
Federal Ministry of Health

From 29th December 2014 dogs, cats and ferrets younger than 12 weeks may enter Austria
without a permit by the Federal Ministry of Health if they are accompanied by the respective
animal health certificate and the declaration and only if the animals come from a listed third
Ascension, United Arab Emirates, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Aruba, Bosnia
and Herzegovina, Barbados, Bahrain, Bermuda, Bonaire, Sint Eustachius und Saba (the BES
Islands), Belarus, Canada, Chile, Curaçao, Fiji, Falkland Islands, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Japan, St.
Kitts and Nevis, Cayman Islands, St. Lucia, Montserrat, Mauritius, Mexico, Malaysia, New
Caledonia, New Zealand, French-Polynesia, St. Pierre and Miquelon, Russia, Singapore,
St. Helena, Sint Maarten, Trinidad and Tobago, Taiwan, United States of America (including
American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands), St.
Vincent and the Grenadines, British Virgin Islands, Vanuatu, Wallis und Futuna.
Andorra, Switzerland, the Faeroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Iceland, Liechtenstein,
Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Vatican City State are entitled to issue pet passports. Animals
from these countries may enter either accompanied by the animal health certificate and the
declaration or by a pet passport.

The basic conditions remain unchanged:
 Each animal has to be identified.
 Each animal older than 12 weeks has to be vaccinated against rabies.
 For each animal either an animal health certificate and the declaration or a pet
passport have to be presented.
 The confirmation of a serological test for rabies is required, if the animals do not
come from a country specified under point 6 or an EU Member state.

Detailed information on the procedures for entry from third countries and on intra-Union
movements of animals accompanying travellers will be provided in specific information
leaflets on the website of the Federal Ministry of Health.

Legal bases:
Reg. (EU) No 577/2013
Reg. (EU) No 576/2013

Further information:

REX Handling Limited
CH-1215 Genève-aéroport
Tel: +41 22 900 2004

IMPORTANT - REX Handling is not available for Pet relocation or Pet travel, this is done only via our network PAN Assistance. Please contact the PET Alliance Network for any related issue regarding moving or transporting an animal

[ Back to News ]
Animal Reception Center ARC - 2015 © Managed by REX handling. Registered Swiss CHE-398.675.861 PAN